Sunday, October 29, 2006

insert unscheduled project here...

Yesterday I experienced the most extreme parental bliss known to moms everywhere.
A small bit of free time. Should I -
Rush home and clean the house? nope.
Frog 3 rows of the traveling rib scarf I goobered up? nope.
Take a nap? Tempting - but nope. I'm sure to oversleep, be forever labeled as the bad mom by all the other moms, and scar my daughter for life.

Nope. An occasion this special calls for a bit of retail therapy. For me, this usually involves either yarn or clothes. Since I didn't have the budget for either - I hit the thrift store. (I love thrift stores - a topic which deserves a long and poetic homily another time. In part I love the challenge. Anyone can walk into a Nordstrom and walk out with a great pair of black heels, but it takes a special kind of optimism to walk into a thrift store and walk out with something great. Maybe the universe wants you to have those black heels, but maybe instead it wants you to have a pair of Robert Cavalli jeans that happen to be EXACTLY your size and only 4$.(*true story*)You need to be open to any possibility. )

Yesterday, I wanted sweaters that I could felt into a Zig-zag blanket from Alterknits. Evidentially, the universe wanted this too, because $20 and six 100% wool sweaters later, I had the kind of project zen that only exists before you've actually started the project.

Like a mutant virus, this small bit of free time gobbled up every other scheduled task. The rest of Saturday was spent cleaning felted wool balls out of my washing machine, fighting with my sewing machine, (tension really is important in sewing. If your machine isn't tense enough it WILL make you tense) and trying to keep all of this crazy creative energy from harming nearby pets and family members. However, the felted sweaters actually pieced together easily. Unlike normal fabric quilts, precision wasn't necessary, because wool is stretchy and very forgiving. The best part is this project was that it was QUICK - was- past tense - as in done. In one weekend!!!!!!
Ok yes there are disclaimers - the blanket is not perfect. My seams are way-way-wonky. I need to trim a lot of threads and steam the heck out the whole piece.

But it looks good in my son's room. It will keep him warm. Best of all - he likes it. He really likes it and if he's feeling warm and fuzzy than I am too.

1 comment:

Cathi said...

You are such a rockstar- and I think we definitely need to go thrifting together sometime b/c I need some of your good thrifting mojo.

See you tonight at Casa Wilcox!